Council Tax via Citizens Access Portal
Due to essential system maintainence the Citizens Access portal which is used by residents to undertake a large number of Council Tax enquiries online 24/7 will not be available from 17:00hrs Friday 31st March until Monday 3rd April 2017 .
Service will be restored as soon as possible but in the meantime if your query is urgent please email using the 'Send a message to this service' available from the 'Contact' tab above.
We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
The Citizens Access Portal allows you to:
- Register for Council Tax - moving into or out of the area, and moving within the area
- View your payments and account balance.
- Apply for or cancel a Single Person Discount
- Set up or amend a direct debit.
- Check a council tax band and charge.
- View details of your current benefit claim.
- View your Council Tax and Benefit information, please note: you will be required to satisfy security questions before you can view this information. If you do not pay by Direct Debit or we do not hold a telephone number you will not be able to access your Council Tax account.
For more information on how to access your records please see below.
Viewing your Council Tax Account
To view details of your Council Tax account you will be required to provide the following information:
- Full address as it appears on your bill (please insert your postcode in the following format PO30 9EA).
- Full name as it appears on your bill.
- Council Tax reference number – please input the full number removing the hyphen and including any letters.
- Online Key as it appears on your bill - To view an example of a bill click here (PDF, 298.96kb, 1 page).
- Last three digits of either your bank account number if you pay by Direct Debit or any telephone number (please note telephone numbers need to be registered).
If you do not pay by Direct Debit or we do not hold a telephone number you will not be able to access your Council Tax account.
If you are having difficulties accessing your Council Tax account, please send a message to the Council Tax department by clicking here confirming your Council Tax account number, telephone number and email address.
To access your Council Tax account, select ‘Start’ under Account Details when directed to the Citizens Access Portal; to log in please click here.
Update your account
To notify a change of address, set up a Direct Debit, update your personal details or apply for or cancel a Single Occupier Discount you can update your Council Tax record in the Citizens Access Portal. You do not need to log in or use an online key to update your records.
When advising us of changes in advance of 30 days or retrospectively, these cannot be updated using the Citizens Access Portal. To notify us of changes outside of these timescales send a message to the Council Tax department including your Council Tax account number with your enquiry. To send a message please click here
To update your Council Tax account, select ‘Start’ under Council Tax Notification when directed to the Citizens Access Portal; to be directed to the Citizens Access Portal please click here.
View a property band and charge
To view a Council Tax band and find out its annual charge, you will need the postcode for the address you are querying.
Please note a postcode will need to be input in the following format - PO30 9EA.
To view a property band and charge, select ‘Start’ under Property Enquiry when directed to the Citizens Access Portal; to check a property band please click here.